Answered By: Jennifer Harris Last Updated: Oct 09, 2017 Views: 2521
Block quotes are used when there are 40 or more words when the author's exact words are being provided word for word.
- Indent the block quote five spaces or half an inch
- Do not use quotation marks
- Double space the quote unless your school has a rule about single spacing block quotes
- Do not include any additional lines or spaces before or after the block quote
- In block quotes, the period goes before the parentheses, not after
Example of an essay paragraph which has a long direct quote with 40 or more words inserted as a block quote
Britain is often thought of the ultimate loser of the American Revolution. However, the truth is not as black and white as is often taught as Conway (2013) concluded:
The War of American Independence, then, defies the neat stereotypes of losers and winners that are usually imposed upon armed conflicts. The nominal loser - Britain - looked in bad shape immediately the conflict closed, but large numbers of its people soon began to appreciate that they had retained many of the benefits of the old imperial relationship with the American colonies but we no longer burdened by the costs. Britain's wider empire, far from beginning a slow but inexorable decline, was within a few years to becoming larger than ever before. (p. 180)
Therefore, even though Britain lost the colonies they did not greatly suffer...
- APA guide (Shapiro Library)
- APA (6th Ed.) Research Paper Basics Video Tutorials (Atomic Learning - log in using your SNHU email username and password)
- APA Style Blog (APA)
For further help please contact the Wolak Learning Center at 603.645.9606 (UC Students) and Online Writing Center at 866.721.1662 (Online/COCE Students) for assistance withciting long, block quotations in-text in APA Style.
You may also want to consider:
- How do I cite a quote in-text in APA style?
- How do I cite paraphrased information in APA style (in-text)?
- Am I allowed to make changes to direct quotes in APA style?
This information is intended to be a guideline, not expert advice. Please be sure to speak to your professor about the appropriate way to cite in-text a long, block quotation in your class assignments and projects.
Conway, Stephen. (2013). A short history of the American Revolutionary War. London: I.B.Tauris.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) are a self-serve option for users to search and find answers to their questions.
Use the search box above to type your question to search for an answer or browse existing FAQs by group, topic, etc.