Answered By: Jennifer Harris Last Updated: Jun 16, 2017 Views: 1008
Block quotes are used when there are 40 or more words when the author's exact words are being provided word for word.
- Indent the block quote five spaces or half an inch
- Do not use quotation marks
- Double space the quote unless your school has a rule about single spacing block quotes
- Do not include any additional lines or spaces before or after the block quote
- In block quotes, the period goes before the parentheses, not after
Example of an essay paragraph which has a long direct quote with 40 or more words inserted as a block quote
Students at SNHU have faced challenges in learning how to use APA formatting. When discussing the challenges, Strunk (1922) stated:
Use quotes around an article title or book chapter, but italicize the title of a book, journal, brochure, or report when used in the body of the paper. Use a short title in the parenthetical citation or full title if the title is short. NOTE: Non-periodical titles (e.g. book titles) have all the important words capitalized in the parenthetical citations, but these same titles do not have all the important words capitalized in the reference list. (p. 342)
Callahan (2001), however, says ….
- APA guide (Shapiro Library)
- APA (6th Ed.) Research Paper Basics Video Tutorials (Atomic Learning - log in using your SNHU email username and password)
- APA Style Blog (APA)
For further help please contact the Wolak Learning Center at 603.645.9606 (UC Students) and Online Writing Center at 866.721.1662 (Online/COCE Students) for assistance withciting long, block quotations in-text in APA Style.
You may also want to consider:
- How do I cite a quote in-text in APA style?
- How do I cite paraphrased information in APA style (in-text)?
- Am I allowed to make changes to direct quotes in APA style?
This information is intended to be a guideline, not expert advice. Please be sure to speak to your professor about the appropriate way to cite in-text a long, block quotation in your class assignments and projects.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) are a self-serve option for users to search and find answers to their questions.
Use the search box above to type your question to search for an answer or browse existing FAQs by group, topic, etc.