Answered By: Jennifer Harris Last Updated: Dec 22, 2017 Views: 546
An example of searching for a specific topic might be: How do I find New Hampshire legal cases about breach of contract?
Shapiro Library offers two legal databases where you may conduct this kind of search: Nexis Uni and HeinOnline Law/Legal Databases. You may find these databases by clicking on the A-Z Database List link from the Library Home page and clicking on the All Subjects drop down menu above the alphabet and selecting Law from the list.
Here is a picture of the recommended search within Nexis Uni:
You will get back over 600 results. Use the timeline or court filters over on the left to further refine your results. There is also a “search within results” option on the left as well.
Here are the steps to find articles about cases on a specific topic within HeinOnline:
First, click on the Case Law tab and then you will see the “Search Fastcase” link.
Next, type in “breach of contract” in quotes into the Text box AND “New Hampshire” in quotes into the second box (change the search parameter to Text) and click Search.
Your screen should look like this:
You will get back over 4,000 results. Use the Jurisdiction or date filters over on the left to narrow down your results to a specific date or court.
Another option you might want to consider is Google Scholar because it allows you to quickly search case law in a very easy-to-read format.
- In the search box you can type in “breach of contract” AND “New Hampshire” and then select the radio button for Case law under the search box.
- It should then allow you to select the radio button for New Hampshire courts. If you don’t see it listed, click on the link “Select courts…” and a new window will open which will allow you to select New Hampshire. Scroll down and click the blue Done button.
- You will be prompted to enter your search again into the search box at the top but this time you should see New Hampshire courts in red over on the left side of the screen. Type in “breach of contract” and run your search. You will see a list of New Hampshire cases that have to do with “breach of contract.”
- On the left side you can limit your results to a certain date range, if needed.
- For more information on using Google Scholar for Case Law research, please take a look at this overview published by the Maryland State Law Library.
If you still are not able to find any cases on your subject after trying these steps, please contact the Reference Desk at email@example.com or via chat, and we can help you brainstorm keywords or offer additional suggestions.
You may also want to consider:
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) are a self-serve option for users to search and find answers to their questions.
Use the search box above to type your question to search for an answer or browse existing FAQs by group, topic, etc.